This Privacy Statement and Notice at Collection applies to CVI job applicants, CVI former employees and B2B business users of the CVI website and any websites that link to this Privacy Statement.
Last updated: January 1, 2023
If you are a California resident, you have certain rights under the California Privacy Rights Acts (“CPRA”). To find the California Notice at Collection and to learn more about your rights, click here.
As a member of the Canon family of companies, Canon Virginia, Inc. ("CVI,” “we,” “our” or “us”) respects your concerns about privacy and values its relationship with you. This Privacy Statement (“Privacy Statement”) is intended to inform you of the types of information we collect from you, either online through this website, mobile applications, or any of the products, services, solutions (including cloud services and solutions), software, websites, subsites, interactive features, forms, mobile and social media pages offered, owned, or operated by CVI or its affiliates, or your interaction with CVI’s agents, contractors or employees or subsites (collectively “Services”), whether accessed online via computer, tablet, mobile device or any other technology or device now known or hereafter developed, or offline, and how that information will be used. The Services are intended for business use by business users residing and located in the United States. This Privacy Statement applies to CVI and any Services that link to this Privacy Statement.
- THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE COLLECT IT
- HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- HOW WE DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- OUR LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- CHILDREN'S PRIVACY
- YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS, CHOICE AND ACCESS
- CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- THIRD-PARTY LINKS
- TRANSFER TO OTHER COUNTRIES
- RIGHT TO MODIFY THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
- HOW TO CONTACT US
1. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE COLLECT IT
We and our service providers may collect information when you provide information to us and when information is collected automatically from your interaction with the Services.
You may choose to give us personal information to allow us to communicate with you, process your orders, or provide you with Services. Our online forms ask for a small amount of relevant information necessary to communicate with you, process your orders, or provide you with Services.
The types of personal information CVI may collect from you may include:
- Personal and business contact information, such as name, company name, postal address, phone number, and email address;
- Other unique information such as product functionality, product and service preferences, and contact preferences;
- Details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have inquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your inquiries, including product serial number;
- Technical information related to your device (including model, serial number, unique device identifier, diagnostic information, usage data, system logs, application configurations, consumables status, etc.);
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or applications or indirectly through use of our websites, applications or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise;
- Information you provide to us through our service center or visits by our representatives from time to time; and
- Professional or employment-related information that you provide through the application and recruitment process, or collected from employment agencies, screening services, background check providers, former employers, credit references or other sources that supply employment verification services, such as work history, prior employer, education information, information relating to references, details of qualifications, skills, experience, professional memberships and licenses, and job interest information, human resources information and information necessary for benefits and related administration services;
- Email communications, and personal information collected in the course of your job-related activities, such as your computer, application, system or network access and usage, and your use of phones and other devices;
- Health information, such as biological testing/screening for controlled substances, if applicable, medical information or disability status required in order to provide accommodations;
- Audio, electronic, visual or similar information such as, photographs of you for identification and security verification, video recordings of you on security cameras, monitoring of phone calls when accessing CVI resources such as IT services, monitoring of CVI computers, networks, systems and applications for security, safety and integrity of CVI assets;
- Demographic information, such as nationality, citizenship, visa status, gender/sex, disability status, veteran’s status, and marital status; and
- Sensitive Personal Information, including social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, ethnicity, race, biometric information such as hand scan, used for security purposes and geolocation information if you are using a company issued mobile device, computer or vehicle as part of your employment duties.
In addition to the information you may voluntarily provide, CVI may collect information automatically when you access or use the Services or a website “powered by” another company on behalf of CVI through our use of data collection technologies, including web beacons, Cookies (as defined in the following paragraph), and embedded web links. These technologies collect certain traffic information that your browser sends to a website, such as your operating system, browser type and language, browser history, access times, time spent on the Services, your use of Services features, and the address of the website from which you arrived. They may also collect information about your IP address, unique device identifier, geolocation information, clickstream behavior (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, and other actions you take in connection with CVI websites or “powered by” websites) and product information. CVI may also use some of these technologies in connection with emails and communications sent from CVI and therefore may collect information using these tools when you open the email or click on a link contained in the email.
If you would prefer not to accept Cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a Cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing Cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject any Cookies. Please be aware that if you disable or reject Cookies, some features and services offered or present on the Services may be slower or may not work or display properly.
We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons (also called clear GIFs or pixel tags) and other similar technologies, to track your use of our Services. We also may include web beacons in email messages or other communications to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the Services we offer and measure the overall effectiveness of our online content and the products and services we offer through the Services.
We use web analytics tools such as Google Analytics to assist us in understanding how people use the Services and related marketing and promotions. Google Analytics is not used for interest-based marketing. To manage your preferences with respect to Google Analytics click here. You can opt out of data collection or use by Google Analytics by clicking the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout (requires you to install a browser add-on).
Use of Public Information
CVI also collects information from publicly or commercially available sources that it deems credible. Such information may include your name, address, email address, preferences, company name, title, specific devices that are financed or leased (Uniform Commercial Code), interests, and firmographic or demographic/profile data. The information CVI collects from its public or commercial sources may be used along with the information CVI collects when you access or use the Services. For example, CVI may compare the geographic information acquired from publicly available sources with the IP address collected by the technologies discussed above to derive your general geographic area.
2. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may store, analyze, combine, and otherwise use the information we collect, either directly or indirectly, to:
- Provide the Services;
- Improve the Services and the way we do business with our customers, dealers, distributors, partners and resellers;
- Verify your identity;
- Respond to your questions and requests;
- Communicate with you about your transactions on the Services and about CVI products and solutions;
- Deliver the products and Services you have requested, such as remote diagnostics, analytics, and software update services, the uploading, storing and downloading of backup information from a device, and the installation of a device;
- Provide you with information about CVI, its parent, successors, subsidiaries, affiliates and related entities (collectively, “Canon” or “Canon Group”), Canon’s Services, products and promotions, jobs, or any other offers that may be of interest to you, unless you opt out or request not to receive this information;
- Perform research and analysis about usage and potential interest in our products, services, or content;
- Develop and display content tailored to your interests on the Services;
- Help us improve the overall accuracy and completeness of the information;
- Allow us to deliver personalized and responsive Services, which can take actions based on the data you provide;
- Communicate with you about your application status and future opportunities with CVI, if applicable;
- Make employment-related decisions, including decisions regarding your recruitment, eligibility for employment, employment, job performance, qualifications, job duties, salary and other compensation, promotion, retention and eligibility to receive accommodations;
- Ensure the security and operability of our networks, systems and applications;
- Prevent, detect or investigate a crime or other breach of law or requirement, loss prevention or fraud;
- Support the technical functionality of the Services, develop new products and services, and analyze your use of the Services, including your interaction with advertising, products and services that are made available, linked to or offered in the Services; and
- As otherwise stated in this Privacy Statement.
3. HOW WE DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We are part of the Canon Group and may disclose your information to our affiliates which may be located outside of the country you reside and are located in, including, but not limited to, our parent company Canon Inc., located in Japan. When you provide information via the Services, we will also disclose your information to our affiliates to enable them to inform you of products or other offers that may be of interest to you.
CVI retains service providers and suppliers to manage or support its business operations, provide professional services, deliver products, services and customer solutions and to assist with marketing and communication initiatives. These providers include, for example, hosting and IT service providers, website management and support service providers, email service providers, automated data processors, shipping agents, and providers of communications, order fulfillment, delivery, customer support, live-help, talent acquisition, employment management, payroll, health and welfare benefit, and security services. We may disclose your information to these companies to enable them to provide you with services on our behalf, and for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may disclose website usage and marketing information to our marketing partners.
In addition, if you inquire about products, services, software or other goods that CVI does not sell directly, we may forward your information to a Canon dealer, distributor, partner or other reseller, with your consent, and they may reach out to you about your needs. In any event, we expect our service providers to use your information only to perform the service for which they are engaged, while also complying with all applicable laws, and pursuant to our instructions. You expressly consent to your information being used as set forth in this Section.
CVI may disclose your personal information to government entities in order to comply with mandatory reporting.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law; (In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.)
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
4. OUR LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will use your personal information:
- With your consent, which you may withdraw at any time;
- If it is in our legitimate interest to do so (for example, when we need to disclose your information to our service providers to provide the Services); or
- If we need to do so in order to comply with a legal obligation.
5. CHILDREN'S PRIVACY
CVI does not target its Services to children under 18 and we do not knowingly collect, use or disclose personal information from children under 18.
6. YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS, CHOICE AND ACCESS
You have the right to request us to:
- Not send you emails or other communications;
- Correct or update your personal information; and
- Not contact you in the future.
If you wish to access, correct or delete your personal information, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are under no obligation to store your personal information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such personal information.
It may not always be possible to completely remove or delete all of your personal information from our databases without some residual data remaining because of backups and other reasons. Additionally, please be aware that we may need to retain some of your personal information in order to maintain our records, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or enforce our agreements. We may also keep a record of correspondence with you (for example if you have made a complaint about a product or our Services) to protect us from a legal claim.We may send you other types of transactional and relationship email communications, such as service announcements and administrative notices without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Additionally, if you are a business customer, we may communicate with you from time to time about certain solutions that may be of interest to you.
7. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Collection, Disclosure, and Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
We collect, and in the last twelve (12) months, we have collected, disclosed for a business purpose and sold/shared the following categories of personal information:
|Category of Personal Information||Specific Personal Information Collected||Disclosed for Business Purpose||Entities that We Disclose Personal Information to for a Business Purpose||Sold or Shared||Entities to which we Sell or Share Personal Information|
|Personal Identifiers, such as name, email address, online identifiers and other information.||
|Professional or Employment Related Information, including Resume, References and/or Cover Letter.||
|Payment Information.||No||No||Not applicable||No||Not applicable|
|Protected Classification Characteristics, such as age, ethnicity and gender.||
|Commercial Information, such as Shopping History and other information relating to your hobbies, interests and shopping behavior.||
|Internet/Network Information, such as IP address, Device Information, and Log and Analytics Data.||
|Geolocation Data, such as Location Information from your device or estimated based on your IP address.||
|Sensory Information, such as recordings of phone calls between you and us, where permitted by law.||None||Not applicable||Not applicable||No||Not applicable|
|Other Personal Information, such as information you submit to us.||
|Inferences, such as predictions about your interests and preferences drawn to create a profile.||None||Not applicable||Not applicable||No||Not applicable|
|Sensitive Personal Information, such as log-in information, biometric information, or precise geolocation||
||Not applicable||Not applicable||No||Not applicable|
Sensitive Personal Information
We collect social security number, driver’s license number passport number and biometric information which are considered types of Sensitive Personal Information. We do not use or disclose Sensitive Personal Information outside of the permitted purposes for which it was shared with us. We do not sell or share Sensitive Personal Information.
Retention of Your Personal Information
For each of these categories of personal information, we retain your information for as long as it is reasonably necessary for the purposes for which the information was collected, and in accordance with applicable retention policies. The criteria used to determine our retention policies include the length of our relationship with you, your requests, ongoing contract and service obligations, business need and our legal obligations. Generally, we will retain your employment-related personal information until the end of your employment with us, plus a reasonable period of time after that where necessary to respond to any employment inquiries, deal with legal, tax, accounting or administrative matters, or to provide you with ongoing pensions or other benefits. We also retain information as otherwise required by applicable law.
Sources of Your Personal Information
As described above in the “The Information We Collect And How We Collect It ” section, we collect information directly from you when you provide it to us, automatically using cookies and other tracking technologies, from the categories of third parties listed in that section, and from publicly or commercially available sources that we deem credible.
Purposes for Your Personal Information
We collect or disclose personal information about you for the business purposes further described in the “How We Use the Information We Collect” section above.
Do Not Track
Some browsers offer you the ability to opt out of cookie-based and other online tracking, which may be considered a “sale” or “sharing” of your personal information. As we do not sell or share any personal information, as defined by the CPRA, if you activate a browser-based opt-out signal sent through the Global Privacy Control, we cannot effectuate your request.
The CVI website is not currently configured to recognize “do not track” or other browser-based signals. However, other settings within your browser may permit you to block Cookies or other technology that enable websites to collect information that can be used to tailor advertisements to your interest. Please check your browser’s settings or consult your browser’s help information for more details. To learn more about browser tracking signals and Do Not Track please visit www.allaboutdnt.com.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident, you have the right, under the California Privacy Rights Acts (“CPRA”), subject to certain exemptions, to:
- Access, request and receive a portable copy of the personal information that we have collected about you in the last 12 months, and specifically:
- The categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of the sources of the personal information;
- The purposes for which your personal information is collected and used;
- The categories of personal information that the business disclosed for a business purpose, and for each category identified, the categories of third parties to whom that particular category of personal information was disclosed;
- The categories of personal information that the business sold or shared, and for each category identified, the categories of third parties to whom that particular category of personal information was sold or shared;
- Correct inaccuracies in your personal information;
- Delete your personal information;
- Limit the use of your sensitive personal information;
- Opt-out of or object to having your personal information sold to or shared with third parties; and
- Not be discriminated against by us for exercising any of these rights.
Right to Request Deletion of Personal Information
You can also request us to delete your personal information. Upon verifying the validity of a deletion request, we will honor your request, and, if applicable, instruct any service providers and/or third parties to which we have disclosed your personal information to delete your personal information; however, please be aware that we may need to retain some of your information in order to maintain our records, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or enforce our agreements. It may not always be possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases without some residual data remaining because of backups and other reasons. We may also keep a record of correspondence with you (for example if you have made a complaint about a product or our Services) to protect us from a legal claim.
Exercising Your Rights
To submit your CPRA request with respect to personal information collected by CVI in connection with use of the Services, please:
- Email email@example.com or
- call 1-757-881-6000 or 1-855-245-3277
In your request, please identify yourself as a business user of CVI.When you submit a request to us, we will verify your identity before processing the request. In order to protect your personal information, you may be asked to provide two (2) or three (3) pieces of information to match our records so that we can reasonably verify your identity.
If you are a California resident and would like to designate an authorized agent to submit certain requests on your behalf, please send an email to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. In order for an authorized agent to be verified, you must provide the authorized agent with signed, written permission to make such requests or a power of attorney. We may also follow up with you to verify your identity before processing the authorized agent’s request.
If you are an agent of a California resident and would like to submit a request on behalf of a California resident, please submit the request to the following email address: email@example.com. After you submit the request, and if the request is not subject to an exemption or exception, we will require additional information to verify the identity of the California resident, as well as your authority to act on behalf of the California resident.
Right to Opt-Out of Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
CVI may disclose your personal information to service providers that support our businesses and perform services on our behalf, such as companies that deliver email marketing messages that you have requested from us. CVI does not sell or share your information.
California “Shine the Light” Disclosure
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 gives California residents the right to request, from a business with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information with respect to the types of personal information the business discloses to third parties for direct marketing purposes by such third party, and the identities of the third parties with whom the business has disclosed such information during the immediately preceding year. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by CVI pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, please contact us at the address listed below.
When you submit information to CVI through the Services, you should be aware that your information is transmitted across multiple computer systems on the Internet. Although we use reasonable and appropriate physical, technical and organizational security measures to protect your information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data on the Internet is ever completely secure, and we do not guarantee the security of such information at any time.
10. TRANSFER TO OTHER COUNTRIES
While CVI is a U.S. company, we may collect and you may provide us with information wherever you are located. The CVI servers that process the data you provide us are located in the United States, Japan and other jurisdictions. By using the Services, or providing us with any information, you understand that the collection, processing, maintenance, transfer and storage of such information will occur in the United States, Japan and other countries where the privacy laws may be different from those in the country where you reside or are located, and waive any claims relating to the collection, processing, maintenance, transfer or storage of data outside of such country.
11. RIGHT TO MODIFY THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time at our sole discretion. If we modify the Privacy Statement, we will post the revised statement here, with an updated revision date. Changes will be effective immediately (except for material changes) upon the posting of the revised Privacy Statement on the Services. In the event we make material changes to this Privacy Statement, we will notify you through the Services prior to the changes taking effect. Please note that if you do not agree to the modified Privacy Statement, you may not use the Services. Your continued use of the Services following the posting of the changes or any applicable notice period will mean that you accept those changes.