Last updated: May 8, 2019
As a member of the Canon family of companies (“Canon”), Canon Virginia, Inc. ("CVI, “we,” “us,”or “our”) is committed to protecting your privacy. This Privacy Statement describes the information we collect from you online through this website or any of the products, services, solutions, software, websites, interactive features, forms, mobile and social media pages offered, owned, or operated by CVI, or Canon, or your interaction with CVI’s agents, contractors or employees or subsites (collectively “Services”), whether accessed via computer, mobile device, or any other technology or device now known or hereafter developed, and how that information will be used.
The Services are intended for use by individuals residing in, located in or purchasing products or services in the United States.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully, because by using the Services, you are acknowledging that you understand and agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement, and consent to the manner in which we may collect, use and disclose the foregoing information. In addition, please review this website’s which govern your use of the Services and any content you submit or purchases you make via the Services. While this Privacy Statement is intended to generally describe our privacy practices, our goal is to also provide more detailed information at times when it is most meaningful to you. Please look for this information within the Services.
1. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We and our service providers may collect information when you provide information to us and when information is collected automatically.
You may choose to give us personally identifiable information through the website to allow us to communicate with you or provide you with Services. Our online forms ask for a small amount of relevant information, such as name, company name, email, street address, and phone number. Individuals who apply for jobs offered by CVI or a CVI affiliate may be requested to provide information that includes, but is not limited to, educational background, employment experience, and job interest. However, there may be some additional relevant personal information which CVI may collect from you, including:
- Personal and business contact information, such as name, company name, address, phone number, and email address;
- Information you provide in regards to a CVI contest or sweepstake, a job application, or an inquiry you submit to CVI;
- Geolocation data such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, physical location, and other similar location information collected when you request location based services; and
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise.
In addition to the information you may provide, CVI may collect information when you access or use the Services or a website "powered by" another company on behalf of CVI through our use of data collection technologies, including web beacons, Cookies (as defined below), and embedded web links. These technologies collect certain traffic information that your browser sends to a website, such as your browser type and language, browser history, access times, and the address of the website from which you arrived. They may also collect information about your IP address, unique device identifier, geolocation information, clickstream behavior (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, and other actions you take in connection with CVI websites or “powered by" websites) and product information. CVI may also use some of these technologies in connection with emails and communications sent from CVI and therefore may collect information using these tools when you open the email or click on a link contained in the email.
- Cookies. Cookies are data files placed on a device when it is used
and store certain information about you for security purposes, to
facilitate site navigation, to maintain and improve our website, generate
analytics regarding performance of the Services, and to personalize your
experience while using the Services. Cookies can remain in your computer
for the duration of a browsing session or for a predetermined period of
time. Cookies that remain in your computer for the duration of a browsing
session are called "session" cookies. Cookies that remain in
your computer for a predetermined period of time are called
"persistent" cookies. We may use persistent cookies to show you
recently-viewed products, provide you with product or service recommendations,
or otherwise provide you with a customized experience.
If you would prefer not to accept Cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a Cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing Cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject any Cookies. Please be aware that if you disable or reject Cookies, some features and services offered or present on the Services may be slower or may not work or display properly.
- Other Technologies. We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons (also called clear GIFs or pixel tags) and other similar technologies, to track your use of our Services. We also may include web beacons in email messages, newsletters and advertisements to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the Services we offer and measure the overall effectiveness of our online content and the products and services we offer through the Services.
- Analytics Services. We use web analytics tools such as Google Analytics to assist us in understanding how people use the Services and related marketing and promotions. To manage your preferences with respect to Google Analytics click here . You can opt out of data collection or use by Google Analytics by clicking the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout (requires you to install a browser add-on).
- Collection by Third Parties. We may allow third parties, including our authorized service providers, advertising agencies and marketing partners to use tracking technologies, such as Cookies and web beacons, to collect non-personal information about your visits to this and other websites on the Services. This information generally enables them to track and gauge the effectiveness of our Services and of various marketing campaigns and to serve ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you when you visit other websites across the Internet.
- Use of Public Information. CVI may also collect information from publicly or commercially available sources that it deems credible. Such information may include your name, address, email address, preferences, company name, title, specific devices that are financed or leased (Uniform Commercial Code), interests, and firmographic or demographic/profile data. The information CVI collects from its public or commercial sources may be used along with the information CVI collects when you access or use the Services. For example, CVI may compare the geographic information acquired from publicly available sources with the IP address collected by the technologies discussed above to derive your general geographic area.
2. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may store, analyze, combine and otherwise use the information we collect, either directly or indirectly, to:
- Improve the Services and the way we do business with our customers and prospective customers and partners;
- Respond to your questions and requests;
- Communicate with you about the Services, our products, services, and other promotions;
- Provide you with information about CVI, other Canon products and promotions, jobs, or any other offers that may be of interest to you, unless you opt-out or request not to receive this information;
- Perform research and analysis about usage and potential interest in our products, services, or content;
- Develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on the Services;
- Help us improve the overall accuracy and completeness of the information;
- Allow us to deliver customized and responsive Services, which can take actions based on the data you provide;
- Support the technical functionality of the Services, develop new products and services, and analyze your use of the Services, including your interaction with advertising, products and services that are made available, linked to or offered in the Services; and
- As otherwise stated in this Privacy Statement.
3. WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We are part of the Canon family of companies and may share your information with our affiliates which may be located outside of the country you reside or are located in, including, but not limited to, our parent company Canon Inc., located in Japan. When you provide information via the Services, for example to apply for a job, we will also share your information with our affiliates to enable them to inform you of jobs, products, promotions, or other offers that may be of interest to you.
Third Parties Providing Services on Our Behalf
CVI retains service providers and suppliers to manage or support its business operations, provide professional services, deliver products, services and customer solutions and to assist with marketing and communication initiatives. These providers include, for example, credit card processors, debt collectors, providers of customer support and live-help, marketing and communications, talent acquisition and employment management services, hosting and IT service providers, email service providers, automated data processors, shipping agents, website management and support services, contests and sweepstakes, order fulfillment and delivery. We may share your information with these companies to enable them to provide you with services on our behalf, and for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may share website usage and marketing information with our marketing partners.
In addition, if you inquire about a product that CVI does not sell directly, we may forward your information to a CVI partner or affiliate, and they may reach out to you about your product needs. In any event, we take reasonable steps to ensure that such third parties are obligated to use your information only to perform the service for which they are engaged. You expressly consent to your information being used as set forth in this Section.
We may also share your personal information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law; (In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.)
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
4. CHILDREN'S PRIVACY
CVI does not target its Services to children under 13.
5. YOUR CHOICES ABOUT COLLECTION AND USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
You have the right to request us to:
- Not send you marketing or promotional emails or other communications;
- Correct or update your personal information;
- Not contact you in the future; and
- Not share your personal information with third parties, unless it is necessary for a legitimate business purpose to further CVI’s Services to you.
You can also ask us to delete your personal information; however, please be aware that we may need to retain some of your information in order to maintain our records, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. It may not always be possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases without some residual data remaining because of backups and other reasons.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from CVI, or if you wish to make any of the above requests, please:
- Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Call 757-881-6000 with your requests.
Please note that we may send you other types of transactional and relationship email communications, such as service announcements and administrative notices without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
We are under no obligation to store your personal information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such personal information.
6. LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES AND INTEREST-BASED MARKETING
We contract with third-party advertising agencies, marketing partners and other service providers to serve advertisements when you visit our website or other websites across the Internet. The advertisements placed on these third-party websites may use tracking technologies, such as Cookies and web beacons, to collect anonymous information about your visits to this and other websites. We may also share anonymous information with these companies in aggregate form and/or partner with these companies to provide interest-based advertising both on and off websites operated by CVI. In either case, the purpose of the sharing is to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you, analyzing and improving the effectiveness of ads and emails, and improving and enhancing our website and its content.
To the extent that information is collected over time and across websites to help provide you with advertisements based on your interests, this information is anonymous and does not contain your personal information.
Do Not Track
This CVI website is configured to recognize "do not track" signals sent as a header by Internet browsers as it relates to Google Analytics only. Unless you disable such tracking technologies using your browser, you agree that by using the Services, CVI may place Cookies or other related technologies on your device. However, other settings within your browser may permit you to block Cookies or other related technologies that enable websites to collect information that can be used to tailor advertisements to your interest. Please check your browser’s settings or consult your browser’s help information for more details. To learn more about browser tracking signals and Do Not Track please visit www.allaboutdnt.com.
When you submit information to CVI through the Services, you should be aware that your information is transmitted across multiple computer systems on the Internet. Although we take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect your information, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data on the Internet is ever completely secure, and we do not guarantee the security of such information at any time.
8. TRANSFER TO OTHER COUNTRIES
While CVI is a U.S. company, we may collect and you may provide us with information wherever you are located. The CVI servers that process the data you provide us are located in the United States, Japan and other jurisdictions. By using the Services, or providing us with any information, you understand that the collection, processing, maintenance, transfer and storage of such information will occur in the United States, Japan and other countries where the privacy laws may be different from those in the country where you reside or are located, and waive any claims relating to the collection, processing, maintenance, transfer or storage of data outside of such country.
9. RIGHT TO MODIFY THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
CVI reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time at its sole discretion. If we modify the Privacy Statement, we will post the revised statement here, with an updated revision date. Changes will be effective immediately (except for material changes) upon the posting of the revised Privacy Statement on the CVI website. In the event we make material changes to this Privacy Statement, we will notify you through the Services prior to the changes taking effect. Please note that if you do not agree to the modified Privacy Statement, you may not use the Services. Your continued use of the Services following the posting of the changes or any applicable notice period will mean that you accept those changes.
10. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 gives California residents the right to request, from a business with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information with respect to the types of personal information the business shares with third-parties for direct marketing purposes by such third-party, and the identities of the third-parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding year. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by CVI pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, please contact us at the email address listed below.
11. HOW TO CONTACT US
Should you have questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement, please email your inquiry to email@example.com.
© 2019 Canon Virginia, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or part without permission is prohibited.